The building was constructed in 1870 and it was originally four separate buildings with a common facade that was added in 1918 by Leo Kelly…hence the name, Kelly Square. Mr. Kelly leased the two center buildings to J.C. Penny’s in 1919. Penny’s remained in the property until 1969. Robert and Honey Minshew purchased the building in 1983 and did extensive remodeling to provide for shops, restaurants and offices. In 1910 there was a candy store in this building that was run by Robert’s grandfather — Robert Minshew! Interesting! The building received an award from the Sherman Preservation League for the restoration that was done.